The graphics card of a computer (or console) is one of the most important part of the operation of these computers. Without a graphics card, tasks would be virtually impossible, given the growing demand for new graphics in new technologies, software requirements and video games and design programs.
If you have an Intel or NVIDIA graphics card, you already have a powerful ally to present your design work or play much-needed video games. Of course, for the best performance, it is important to keep your drivers up to date. For this reason, at OneHOWTO we show you how to update your computer’s graphics card below.
How do I know which graphics card I have?
It’s easy to know the type of graphics card on your computer. All you have to do is follow the steps below:
- First go to the default system folder called “Computer”. There you will find partitions on your computer’s hard drive and some other default folders of the system such as downloads and documents.
- In the next step, you have to right-click on “Computer” or “This Computer”.
- You must select the “Manage” option in the panel that appears after clicking.
- After the corresponding window opens, you must go to the menu on the left and select the “System Tools” option.
- After seeing how many alternatives are displayed, you need to click on “Device Manager”.
- Once there, and with a new popup window, you’ll need to display another option, called “Display Adapter”.
- After applying the sixth step, you will find the name of the graphics card that you have on your computer or laptop.
If you want more detailed information step by step with these instructions, don’t miss this other OneHOWTO article on how to find out which graphics card is in my computer.
What are the components of a graphics card?
Graphics card components include GPU, GRAM memory, RAMDAC, output, power port, interface with board and cooling devices. Each of these contains a specific function, and in HOWTO, we describe each one later:
GPU – What is it?
Basically, a GPU is a graphics processor. Its primary function is to assist the computer’s central processor in processing the data dedicated to the graphical interface, ie what we see on the screen, such as 3D development. The GPU is one of the most important functions inside a graphics card, and is achieved through 3 basic features: core or clock frequency speed, shaders and peak; These last two are responsible for the appearance of 3D and 2D graphics.
This is the storage that is used by the graphics card to store the information that will be processed and it is waiting for the other processes in the GPU to finish. There are generally two types of graphics memory or GRAM: dedicated, which works directly with the GPU, and shared, which takes up some unused storage from RAM.
RAMDAC is responsible for acting as a transistor for digital signals and as a capacitor for outputting analog signals. To put it more simply, RAMDAC basically stores and condenses the character number signals received from the computer and converts them into digitally intelligible data on the screen.
The power supply or power supply is what powers the graphics card. Mostly, it is connected to the computer’s motherboard, although some (such as PCIe) are directly connected to the computer’s power supply to operate, as their power consumption can exceed 70W.
Interface – What are they?
The interface is responsible for receiving and sending data from the motherboard. It’s just a connection between the graphics card and the computer’s motherboard.
Graphics cards also have their own individual cooling devices. They perform the task of eliminating the heat generated by the GPU so as to avoid overloading the operation or melting components. There are three types of cooling devices:
- Heat sinks
- Liquid cooling
The graphics card’s output is what allows it to connect to other devices such as computers, consoles and televisions. In general, these are a wide variety of data inputs, but the most common are:
- Display port
How to upgrade graphics card.
Graphics card upgrades vary by model and brand. Thus, for example, once you understand how to update an Intel graphics card, you will not be able to apply these steps when updating an NVIDIA graphics card or in Windows 10. With each of these options, continuity:
How To Upgrade Intel Graphics Card
If you have a graphics card built into the motherboard, especially an Intel processor, it is advisable to download the Intel driver and support assistant. This software will take care of the controllers or drivers of the graphics card and other Intel components that your computer has updated with its latest version.
How To Update NVIDIA Video Card
Updating NVIDIA video cards, as with Intel, requires a wizard, software that helps keep them in the best condition and up to date.
Therefore, it is recommended to download the NVIDIA Geforce experience. This program will automatically update all the drivers of your NVIDIA video card and in addition, you will be able to optimize the functions according to the requirements of the computer and the installed programs.
How to Update Video Card in Windows 10
One of the easiest ways to update your Windows 10 video card driver is to do it manually, through the default Windows Update application. At AHOWTO we show you what you should do next:
- First we go to the “Start” option.
- The next step, we select the “Settings” tab and, in the new window, we will click on “System”.
- Next, we select “Display Settings” and then “Advanced Display Settings”.
- Then we click on the Display Adapter option.
- Click the “Properties” button and, in the new popup window, click “Controller”.
- Then, we click on “Update Driver”.
- In the window that opens, we have to click on the first option, ie “Search for automatically updated driver software”.
- As a final step, once the video card update is installed, we will proceed to restart the computer. Your update will be ready!
If you have problems with your graphics card, you should know that replacing it is a very effective option.
Although most laptops do not have graphics cards that can be upgraded, there are some types of laptops, especially those for running gaming or advanced applications. This type of laptop has “discrete” graphics cards, which are physically separate from the laptop’s motherboard. For these laptops, if the laptop maker upgrades the graphics card, you can purchase an upgraded video card and upgrade your laptop’s graphics card.